I am interested in the teaching and practice of Computer Science. My teaching drives everything that I do, and I love to try new techniques to help students learn in my courses. My research involves using technology, machine learning, human computation, and collaboration to improve the way that we teach computer scientists at the collegiate level.
LaTeX Tutorial. Many of the courses I've worked on have required that students submit their solutions using LaTeX; so, I wrote a short tutorial which also acts as a LaTeX reference.
Advice for new TAs. Back when I was TAing, I found that many first-time TAs had no idea what to expect. I've been told this document has helped some people. It offers advice for new TAs who want an idea of what pitfalls to avoid.
How to ask for help. I've found a really common issue for freshmen is that they get stuck for the very first time, and they aren't sure how to get help. This document outlines ways in which students can turn "getting stuck on homework" into a positive experience.
- a programming language and compiler for teaching introductory discrete mathematics (Setty),
- improving submission, annotation, review, and feedback of proofs (ColorMyGraph and "Whiteboard"),
- using abstract interpretation to help students learn (output and time complexity analysis of programs),
- peer grading of proofs (verifications),
- studying the effects and implementation of formative assessment, and
- modifying production compilers to help students learn.
Asymptotic Analysis. This is, yet again, another 15-151 lecture that motivates asymptotic notation, gives examples of the "tree method", and derives the merge sort recurrence.
Finite State Machines. This is a 15-251 (guest) lecture that discusses Deterministic Finite Automata (DFAs). It uses turing machines and regular expressions as motivation.
LSB Steganography. This is a lecture to an introductory CS class that introduces binary representation, image representation, very basic steganography, and the PPM file format. It includes a PDF of the lecture, a ZIP of stubs in Java, and some sample images in PPM to decode.